16 January 2011

I Am Annoyed

Okay.

So, I recently read a blog about a trend that's started up called "The Compact."  The goal of this group is to buy nothing new for at least 12 months.  When I first read this, I was confused how they could survive buying NOTHING new.  After reading their blog and discovering all the exceptions they included, I became annoyed for two reasons.


1. They have a big list of stuff you can still buy and pay for.  Some of the stuff makes sense like food, and personal hygiene stuff, and auto repair.  But they do on to include things like house cleaning services and spa days under stuff you can't live with out.  As I read this list of things they considered necessary I began to think about what I would need that they were not allowing. 

I am working on getting a new job.  Most of the places I have applied for require business professional attire of which, I own none.  I could go to second hand store to get these clothes but I need clothes that really fit, and look professional and fresh.  I know that places like good will have nice clothes but it is not easy to find ones that actually fit and are in style.  In order to get a job so I don't end up on the street, I am going to have to buy at least one new outfit.  If I get a job, I am going to have to buy NEW clothes so that I can look Professional at work and keep the job.  

I feel like the people who set up this group probably didn't take into account the people of lower economic status that may read their blog.  There is no way that people who consider Maid service and spas days an exception would understand why I need new clothes for work. 

2. When they Do talk about buying things, they encourage it to come from local business and local sources.  This is a great idea and while I would love to do it, those places are usually more expensive and, for me, unaffordable.  I make about $500 a month and I need that to survive and pay off my school debts and to have a little money left over to actually have a little fun.  


I feel that if they want this to become the movement they talk about it being, they need to sit down and work though their rules and exceptions and make them accessible by all.  I may have to buy new clothes, but I never ever throw away clothing unless it is destroyed.  I donate everything else I no longer use to goodwill.  I save any paper I may need to trow out and burn it in my back yard so I can put the ashes on my garden that I grow to provide veggies and fruit for my family.  I am working on saving up enough money to plant some fruit and nut trees in my backyard after I clear it out.  I clean my own house, have never been to a spa, and usually wait till the last moment to repair my car.  I even compost and recycle the horse crap from work. 

I think I am doing pretty good at not leaving much waste behind and groups like the Compact can stop making me feel like crap because I can't afford to "live better."