06 February 2011

The Votes Are In.... Kinda

Well, I finished my first week of the new job.  And I think that it's going to work out okay, maybe.  I can't seem to make up my mind about the job.

It is completely different then any job I thought I would be doing. I mean, advertising sales, me?  Pretty much the job consists of three parts: Events, B to B, and Residential.  When we go to an event we sit outside of a building, or just inside the door and sell to the people leaving the business.  B to B stands for business to business, which means walking from store to store and selling to the people working there.  Residential is pretty self explanatory, we sell door to door.  This is when I begin to hate the job.  when I really think about the fact that I went to college and got my degrees to become a door to door salesperson, I feel like an ass.

When I am actually out there, trying to get people to buy the advertising, it is kinda fun.  I look at it as a challenge and I love competitions.  I enjoy the work to find the actual sale and what we are selling is actually pretty awesome so at least I am not a door to door knife salesman, but I still feel like what I am doing is completely below my potential.

At least if I work hard and try to reach the goals set for me in this job, I should own my own business in the next year or two.  If I can push through and pretend to care long enough to make a good savings in my bank then I will be able to move on to something I truly love.

But that leads in to another negative of the job.  The ours are crazy.  Right now I am working Monday through Saturday, from 9:30am to 8:30pm.  And I am the first to say that if I do not start making more money soon, this will really not be worth it.  I have no life besides the job and everyone I work with feels that we are each others friends and that is it.  Going bowling with your co-workers every once in awhile is one thing, but weekly fun nights and hanging out on all your days off is another.  I really do not want that close a relationship with the people I work with.

So, I am still looking at other jobs, while maintaining an open mind about this one.  All I want is a job that doesn't make me die inside a little each day, and I am not sure if this job fits that criteria.